Monday, March 5, 2018

MY SECOND LEG OF MY 85 MILE RUN. NOVEMBER 14-15, 2018

This is my continuing essay on my 85 mile run. I should have finished my running story months ago. Oh well, I can blame it on old age!!!!  This was my aid stop on my adventure. I was just a step or two from the side of the road. And it was easy to get my aid. Shirley was a great in getting my egg sandwiches, hot drinks and other foods that I would need to keep me from bonking out. I had figured that I would need about 10,000 calories for the 85 mile run. So far I was doing great with the calories I was eating.

I finished my first ten mile leg with Steve and Dick at 11:30 am. I went inside of the RV where Shirley had soup and spinach ravioli ready for me and hot chocolate. I was in the aid station about 10 minutes. I put on a dry long sleeved shirt. refilled my camel back with Nuun and was out the door ready to run with Kimberly my next support person.
Kim and I with Dick in the background.

Kim is setting her watch to time our 10 mile leg. We  are running in a clock wise direction on this leg. The weather was still mild with the temperature at about 45 to 50 degrees. 

This is what the day looked like when we went out on our run. A cloudy, breezy typical November day in Sequim. But thank God, no rain yet.
We walked and ran together on this leg with no incidents. The Sequim Food Bank had some of its staff cheering Kim and I when we passed them at six miles on this leg on this leg. We finished this leg in about 3 hours and 30 minutes. It was still light when we finished and I went into the
RV for my food and drink.I was not having any difficulties so far. No mind playing games or physical pains.
Before Kim and I finished our run together a runner came out and introduced himself. His last name was Cooper. I forget his first name. He said that he had run in the Irrigation Festival 5K with me in May. He must have run about 8 miles with us. It was good to have his company.

      

It was getting dark when we finished this leg. I was ready to replenish my energy. I was in the aid station about 10 minutes.
And now it was Philip's turn to run and walk with me on the 30 to 40 mile leg.

..The wind was starting to blow by now and it was getting colder. We had gone about 2 miles into this leg when I asked Philip if he would carry the camel back. I should not have carried it on my previous legs on the run. I was about at mile 23 when I began to struggle to keep on my running goal. My mind began its whispering that I could not keep on going and that I should stop. My mind began to urge me to stop. I began to feel terrible. I had gone only 33 miles and I was ready to quit. I  struggled with these thought that kept on nagging me as I struggled to keep a walking pace. I drank water and had a few snacks and kept on going. I wadded through all of the negative thoughts that my mind was throwing at me, struggling with every step. But I kept up my walking and at the end of the run I WAS THROUGH THE MUCK AND MIRE OF NEGATIVE THINKING. I was back at the aid station feeling 100 percent better. I was ready and eager to continue on with my adventure..
Next leg 40 to 50 miles. It was starting to rain and the wind was gusting to about 35 miles per hour.
I was Dick's turn to start the next leg with me. It was about 8:pm now. Raining and windy. I borrowed a light rain jacket from Kimberly and began this leg. We had gone about 4 miles when a friend, Mike Church came and ran with me for the next 6 miles. I was just finishing the 5 miles of this leg when Philip drove by in his car and asked if I needed anything. What a life safer. I said yes, bring me a latte. Boy did that ever taste good. We made it to the end of this leg and rest and food in the RV. Oh, I forgot to mention that Steve came back after his work and ran with me for a couple more hours.
CONTINUED 







No comments:

Post a Comment