Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tuesday May 8, 2012
I ran the Boomsday Race last Sunday, May 6. My time was 1 hour and 26 minutes-59 seconds.
Alright, 1 hour and 27 minutes. Picky, picky!!!
 The temperature at our start, 9:45 am was 46 degrees. The temperature at the finish was in the high 60's. Phil ran with me and Rosaura walked this year. Her time was 2 hours and 5 minutes. She has just started to walk and jog again after several years of not exercising.
 There were 53,000 runners this year.
At the start of the race for our wave, Orange, we walked for a long ways and then we finally could start jogging. Our first mile time was 12:35. Then the crowd started to thin out by then so I could pick up my pace.
I started to make up time as we passed the 3 mile mark. I poured water on just my head at every water aid station. I started doing this when I read an article several years ago about how to combat heat while running. The article stated that it is just as important to cool off the torso as it was to drink water. I have been doing the cooling down practice in my running for about 3 years now and I find out that it does help me. The only problem I have encountered with this at the aid stations is that sometimes the aid personal want to douse my whole body with cold water!!! So, I just yell out, "Just my head', and get plenty of help for that especially on really hot days!!!!
I ran my last 2.47 miles in 10 minutes and 30 seconds per mile. My pace per mile for the run was 11 minutes and 40 seconds.
I was happy with that pace. :)
After the run Phil bought a humugous bowl of curly fries and cheese. The fries were cut with a device that one of the cooks made. It was a small slicer that was driven by a shaft  that was hooked to a electric drill motor. One large potato sliced in about 5 seconds. Great invention.
Anyway the potatoes were delicious!!!! Phil was kind enough to share them with me.
It was  a great trip.

Below are some pictures that I captured of the Bloomsday Race.
     This one is a picture of all of the people who have run in all of the Bloomsday Races through 2011. I believe there is over one hundred runners! 35 years.
This years run was the 36th.


An advertisement for this years run.


                                           
                                           A shot from a helicopter 2012


A Kenyon runner. 


All in all in was a very good trip and run for me. We left Sequim at noon on Thursday May 3rd and arrived home Sunday May 6 at 10:40 pm.
I was up at 7:00 am on Monday and Phil and I ran 2 miles and then today we ran 4 miles at 7:00 am.
WOW, I haven't done that kind of training for a long time.
A 20 mile training run tomorrow. :)

               FINIS

No comments:

Post a Comment